Thursday, May 6, 2010

Blood on the Dance Floor

Yes, that is a Michael Jackson song but it is also appropriate for today's post.  The floor you are dancing on is VITAL to your health. It is so important that you are not working on HARD surfaces such as cement, tile, etc. Dancing on a hard floor will take its toll on your body.

When I started Clogging (yes, similar to tap), I had my first set of classes in someone's garage. At the time it did not bother me but over the years I developed knee pain and injury from it. Everytime you jump on a floor that is not suitable for dancing you risk compressing joints, discs and other serious injuries.

I recommend dancing on any type of "sprung" floor, hard wood floor (they are not as hard as you think), or marley (a thick black mat that covers the surface of a stage or studio floor). This will prolong the life of any dancer's body.

.

2 comments:

  1. excited to explore your blog as I am a dancer too. my knees know well the consequences of dancing on a cement floor as I danced for a rec council for years and we practiced in elementary school gyms.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Clogging sounds awesome! I think you should teach it. Either that or Irish tap!

    ReplyDelete